Legal and Technical Evaluation of a construction company in Turkey
Description of project
The assignment involved conducting a desk review of a Turkey-based large contractor and a sample of its main construction contracts, in order to establish if the company is suitable to receive the IFC’s economical support. This includes two main blocks of activities: the competitive analysis of the construction sector in the country and the review of a set of construction contracts.
- Construction market analysis of 10 countries
- An assessment of selected key contractual terms including performance and payment bonds, letters of credit, scope, schedule, cost and payment, damages, changes, warranties and performance guarantees, project acceptance and testing.
- Considering the various components of project execution to identify conflicts, omissions, and misunderstandings regarding the roles and responsibilities of the parties.
- Comment on the existing construction equipment the company owns, its utilization rates, and remaining life.
- Reviewing price estimates of the proposed new construction equipment to be purchased for reasonableness and assessing needs/rationale.
- Evaluating the company’s approach to procurement and comment on the Project Management Tools the company has for controlling costs and schedule.
- Commenting on the Quality Control and Safety procedures employed on their projects.
- Setting up of a Risk Management tool for EPC Contracts what are the examples of good practices.
- How best to set up Value Engineering in company as a tool for an EPC contractor.
- Evaluating the company’s organization structure and benchmarking versus other comparable construction companies.
- Type of technical training and skills they need for the transition to EPC projects.
- Benchmarking the company’s technical capabilities to other comparable construction companies in the world.
- Review of tracking systems for variation orders.
- Review of company’s existing progress reports and comparison with good industry practices.
- Comparison with other construction companies in the region in terms of skills, expertise, labour rates.